2 SICK MONKEYS
1. 2 Sick Monkeys - a brief intro please about where it all began and why the unorthodox 2 piece approach.
Well me & Fred have known each other for over 20 years, having first played together in Punk band called 'Cut Throat Razor' between 1987 + 1993. Around Autumn 2000 Fred needed someone to play a couple o' tunes with him at a drum workshop he'd organized where Darrin Mooney (Primal Scream/Gary Moore Band) was headlining. I hadn't long been playing the bass (used to play guitar) and had no band so I thought it'd be a good crack. We had a couple of practices, wrote a couple o' songs and played the 'gig'. We carried on jamming after that and realised that we had loads o' tunes, it all felt pretty good and we didn't really feel that we needed anyone else to fill the sound, so we just stuck with it...and here we are 7 years down the line.
2. Would you say its easier working with just one other band member or more difficult in the fact that when you disagree there could be major problems about which decision to go with?
A bit o' both really. It can be a bit of bastard when you have 2 totally opposite ideas on something cos you don't have anyone else to split the vote.
3. Describe your fellow band member in 5 slanderous words.
Tinky, winky, dipsy, lala, po
4. Chipper Chumpchop, Hackneys naked Butcher believes he can hear his sausages communicating with one another and plotting to take over the entire country. I think the sausage conspiracy should be taken seriously by the authorities and drastic measures need to be taken to stop this all out attack on the the great British public. How do we deal with this threat and do you feel guilty when partaking of the sausage (no homosexual pun intended)?
I never feel guilty when partaking of the sausage (no homosexual pun intended either) maybe we could get together a Great British Breakfast Army kitted out with forks, bread (fried, of course!) brown sauce, eggs, bacon and camping stove (no homosexual pun intended there, either) and go sort the fuckers out!! Maybe?
5. After a few conversations with you I feel the punk spirit is alive and kicking. Where do you think this feeling comes from and how can we old bastards pass on this passion and energy to the younger brigade?
I was 11 years old (1978) when I first heard The Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks etc...from my older brother, he wasn't a Punk, he just loved music and was always buying records. And hearing all those early Punk records was ace, you just wanted to jump around the room. And if I hear a good record now it makes me wanna do the same...the Punk spirit may mean many things to many people but I think we can probably all agree that once you've got it you don't ever lose it!!
6. Best 2SM's track to date and why?
I've got quite a few but I'll limit it to 3, please feel free to chop 2 of 'em out for breaking the rules ha ha ha
7. What is the main driving force behing 2SM and what are the main goals you are trying to achieve (if any)?
Basically to get better and better and play gigs where loads of people show up.
8. Electric giblets - a great bed warming idea for the elderly or a masonic symbol of sexual prowess. Please elaborate.
To be honest it sounds like the name for a heavy metal band...there's a Monty Python sketch with loads of name's of bands just like that. But as I'm 40 this year I like the idea of it being a bed warming thing for the elderly. I'm assuming as they're electric you just plug your giblets in and stave off hypothermia for another day.
9. The punk scene has so many genre's and sub genre's that really don't cross-over thus dividing the scene. Is this a problem you have come across and how do you think these seperate entities will affect punks future?
I think variety is good personally, it's usually people's agendas that are the problem. Remember all that straight edge stuff, not necessarily a bad thing, people should be free to do what they want (you don't wanna drink? don't drink...you do wanna drink? then drink...it's your choice) but then you got some people who got all elitist about it and all of a sudden there's rules of what ya can and can't do, who you go and see and who you can't if your lifestyle is (or isn't) a certain way. It's a shit explanation, sorry mate, but stuff like that is more of a problem.
10. If you were put in charge of a young punk band what strategy would you use to get gigs, decent paydays and CD success. What advice would you give them when setting out on their punk career?
Write a Christmas song for an x-factor/big brother loser, get an emo haircut and sell out...you'll make loads of cash!!! ;-)
11. Bubbles 'O' Filth - oceanic astrologer and media queen once spent 2 weeks inside a limpet so as to edify her soul and cleanse her buttocks of various barnacle species. How would you combat a posterior barnacle attack and are kung fu starfish a legimate form of martial art?
How the fuck are you supposed to answer this? ha ha ha ha ha I'd imagine kung Fu noises are what you'd make when removing a barnacle from your starfish...fair play to Bubbles I say...that's dedication, that is!!
12. Finally push the 2 Sick Monkeys for all they are worth and persuade us to check em' out as soon as we get the chance?
Right then, 2 Sick Monkeys - 2 Piece Punk Rock band from Swindon, Wiltshire. We've played over 300 gigs, including 3 European Tours (4th one this November) and have played with bands such as Anti-Nowhere League, Discharge, The Buzzcocks, Goldblade, 999, Citizen Fish and loads more. Almost everywhere we've played we've been asked back and we guarantee you a great show (see the live reviews on our myspace blog).