1. Tyrannosaurus Alan - great name and the 3 tracks I have heard so far promise much. Tell us about the band - where it all started, the members and how the first demo was recorded and where the 3 songs were created.
It started back in the day when me (Ben) and Ollie got guitars from Argos and started writing songs together. I switched to bass cos it was cooler and we kept writing songs together. He switched to drums cos they were cooler and we played the old songs without guitar. He switched back to guitar and we got a drummer in and we had a band. The drummer left, we got a new drummer, another guitarist/saxophonist and made Tyrannosaurus Alan, so we sat down and wrote a whole load of new songs in our bedrooms. The first demo was recorded between bedrooms, we recorded in Ollies bedroom when his parents went out, he sent the wav files to me and I fiddled with them to make them sound a wee bit nicer, then we copied it, coloured it in and sent it off to everyone we could think of.
2. Describe your fellar band members in 5 words apiece one of which must be fruit related?
Ollie - Loud, exotic if you will.
3. I am always interested in peoples perspectives of their local scenes and the scene in general - tell us yours!
There's not all that much Punk or ska going on in Medway really, there's a few good bands from further away that come to play here and they pretty much make up the scene. The bands that do come and play though are like a little community, we'll all put each other on at our gigs, help each other out and just have a laugh when we get together All us little ska/punk bands are so relaxed about everything that the shows are always fun, even if 3 people turn up and we sound appalling. (which we don't, obviously. Why would we sound like that?)
If you're in a indie or metal band though your sorted. Everyones gonna want to put you on.
4. Kevin Thrush was recently found making love to an ironing board. I myself was once chatted up by a microwave oven so I fully understand the temptation to 'nob' an household item. Give us your theory on ironing board love and if you had to marry a kitchen utensil which one would you choose?
Though an ironing board is tempting, I find them too squeaky for my taste so I tend to only go for them on the rebound. Only if there's no iron involved of course, that could get messy very quickly. If I had to marry any kitchen utensil it'd have to be the blender. The fun you can have with a blender is something that every man should experience.
5. What difficulties do you foresee as a band member regarding getting gigs, winning fans and just generally improving the stature of the bands name!
Getting gigs is hard enough round here cos theres not really any venues... we don't really think about it, we just play our songs and if people like it then we keep playing, if they don't then we keep playing. We tend to work by just making friends with people, we go to gigs up in London and if we like a band we go introduce ourselves, say hi, give them a demo and a lot of the time they get back to us a few days later. We do the same at our own gigs, we make a point of hanging around with the other bands, having a chat and just not being assholes about it. Nobody wants to gig with a band that they don't like.
6. Best Tyrannosaurus Alan song - who wrote it, what makes it so special and what is it about?
7. Heroes and zeroes in life and music please?
For me.. Madness were really the first ska band I ever got in to... later on I found about The Specials, The Selecter etc. from stealing one of my dads old ska compilation things...
Nickleback = zeroes.
8. Wannabe punk Ray Pissed has wrote the first line to his latest single called 'Housebrick Sheep'. It goes like this:- 'I like sheep that are made from bricks'. Could you please finish this 4 line opener in the best possible way without offending the prawn community?
9. Your joys and gripes in life and music as well as any bad habits you have?
10. Tell us about your dream gig - who would be on it, where and why?
11. Ryan Melt had a pimple on his scrotum. He ignored it. The pimple grew and Ryan tried to remove it with a can opener. He failed. The pimple grew until it had a circumference of 3 feet forcing Mr Melt to take to his bed and dose up on Bob Martins dog tablets. Within 3 days the pimple burst and out popped a fully grown sausage dog - coincidence or a by product or worming tablet abuse - tell us your theory?
12. Finally promote Tyrannosaurus Alan over the space of 5 lines - go for it man.